For the past 110 years, Cannon Park has been the home of the Cairns Jockey Club and has continued its commitment to local racing making it one of the top things to do in Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef.
Originally owned by the Cannon family, the land where the CJC now sits was donated, with the first race meeting held in 1911. Records show that the first Cairns Cup took place in the early 1900’s.
The long and colourful history of the Cairns Jockey Club started in the townships Mining Exchange Hotel in July 1884. Over fifty enthusiastic people signed up for membership and the very first race meeting was conducted shortly after. The day was proclaimed a holiday, and the meeting attracted attendees from as far afield as Herberton and Port Douglas.
The Cairns Amateurs Racing Carnival (est. 1959) has become the signature event on the FNQ horse racing calendar. The three days of fun, fashion, glamour, food and entertainment built around two days of horse racing in early September each year is the very reason Cannon Park draws crowds of over 12,000 per day from all over the world during the peak carnival times.